Saturday, September 5, 2009

Monthly Movie Magic




James and I decided to also review one movie a month that we would recommend watching. Last night after dinner we went to the dollar theater and finally saw the Disney Pixar movie UP. Here is our review:

If you go into this movie having just watched the trailer, you go in there with the expectation of classic Pixar humor and animation, the characters look quirky and the story seems different. Honestly this is how I usually feel about Pixar movies (e.g. Ratatouille, Monsters. Inc., Cars,) I go in thinking this plot will be difficult to pull off. But as always, Pixar does it and does it well.

One thing we noticed is how quickly we fell in love with the characters. It isn't often, (in factor never) that we love characters so much that we are in tears within the first 15 minutes of a movie, and when I say tears, I mean Kathy is sitting next to me trying to compose herself, so that she doesn't disturb the girls sitting next to her with loud, gushing sobs. We both were in tears throughout the movie (probably because A - Kathy is pregnant, B - we are just starting our story like Carl and Ellie and C - We really just fell in love the characters that much). I think the intro part of the movie was very well done. What is interesting is that they are able to create a picture of deep, life-long love, so quickly and with no dialogue between Carl and Ellie. It was simple but moving and I think, very realistic.

The plot was fun, crazy and kept you smiling or outright laughing. It moved nicely; it never felt slow. Throughout and within the humor it kept reminding you of the real heart of the movie, which is a love story and a story about hope.

One of our favorite lines is from Russell(the wilderness explorer) speaking about his father, and I think it had great meaning for the whole movie:

"And afterwards, we'd go get ice cream at Fenton's. I always get chocolate and he gets butter brickle. Then we sit on this one curb right outside, and I'd count all the blue cars and he counts all the red ones, and whoever gets the most, wins...I like that curb. It might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most."

We recommend this movie, for kids and adults and even teenagers.


No comments: